Social media marketing is the latest addition to the online marketing mix that involves leveraging social networking websites to share relevant and interesting content, or social media, with your network of fans, followers and connections. Social media marketing campaigns typically focus on creating compelling content that attracts attention and encourages readers to share it with their social networks.
Social Media Marketing is Peer-to-Peer Public Relations
A simple way to understand social media marketing is to think of it as public relations. However, instead of pitching the media, you are pitching your peers. By sharing useful and relevant content with members of your network, your message can achieve a tremendous reach as your network shares your content with members of their networks, who shares it with members of their networks, and so on, and so on and so on.
The Secret to Success: You Need to become a Content Marketer
The secret to success for social media marketing is to stop thinking you are only in the business of selling products and services. You are also in the business of knowledge. You need to create valuable content to market your specialized knowledge to demonstrate to customers that you are the expert in your field. In other words, you need to become a content marketer.
SVM’s proven approach to social media marketing includes:
- STRATEGIC PLANNING
- JOIN THE COMMUNITY
- MONITOR & LISTEN
- CREATE & PARTICIPATE
- MEASURE SUCCESS
The majority of companies dive into social media marketing without a clear strategy. We won’t let you make that mistake. We will work with you to identify the key elements of your social media marketing strategy.
First, we’ll define the measurable business goals you want to achieve from social media marketing.
After we know why you want to leverage social media marketing, we’ll spend some time defining the audiences you are trying to engage.
Once we know the audiences you want to communicate and engage with, we’ll spend some time gaining a global perspective on the social media community you will be participating in. Your target audiences are part of this community, but there are other influential players vying for their attention. Our strategy will help determine how you will stand out as a thought leader.
Finally, we will help you identify specific goals and benchmarks to allow us to measure the success of your social media marketing campaigns.
Join the Social Media Community
If you’re not a social media participant, it’s time to get your feet wet. You need to have a good understanding of the social media landscape before you can harness its marketing potential.
SVM will introduce you to the most important social networks like LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Google+ — being sure to explain their business-building value. In addition, we’ll describe the value of participating in social media content sharing sites, like YouTube, SlideShare, Scribd and Flicker. This is the best way for you to get an understanding quickly and efficiently.
Monitor & Listen to the Conversation
After setting up your profiles on the various social sites, it’s time to start listening to the discussion. SVM will help you discover online communities related to your industry and frequented by your customers so you can listen to the conversation and read posts by experts in your industry.
While we encourage you to do this manually, we’ll show you how to automate the process using software, like TweetDeck and HootSuite, that will automatically update you about the people, topics and discussions you care about.
Create Content & Participate in the Discussion
After listening for a while, you will have an understanding of who the players are, what they are saying, the topics and information that the community finds important and how your competitors are involved. Now it is time for you to start creating and participating.
SVM will help you create social media content that your target audience will consider interesting, educational and useful, including:
- Articles: Short, educational articles that demonstrate a best practice.
- Blog Posts: Insightful and timely Web content highlighting important insights, industry news and observations.
- Presentations: PowerPoint presentations oriented toward a particular industry challenge, opportunity or best practice.
- How To Guides & Whitepapers: Topical, educational reports or guides oriented toward a best practice, industry challenge or opportunity.
- Videos: Online video to demonstrate a product, illustrate a best practice and allow customers to see your company behind the scenes.
- Webinars: Web-based presentations, either live or on-demand, that educate on best practices.
- Podcasts: Audio content provides an opportunity for you to speak directly to your audiences and share your knowledge.
In addition, we’ll show you how best to participate by replying to topics, adding value to the discussion and sharing your ideas.
Measure Social Media Marketing Success
Is your social media campaign making an impact? Are you gaining new visitors to your Website? We’ll help you answer these questions and measure the three key areas for social media marketing success:
- Reach: How many people did you impact with your message? Key metrics include: Connections, Followers, Fans, Likes, Visits, Views, Subscribers
- Engagement: How many people interacted with your message? Key metrics include: Clicks, Retweets, Shares, Wall posts, Comments
- Conversion: How many people took action because of your message? Key metrics include: Content downloads, Online leads, Phone-in leads, Sales
SVM will continually monitor and analyize your social media marketing campaign to ensure that we are producing business-building results.